Tags

• Characters
  • Genre
  • Length
  • School Era
  • Ships
  • Website News
  • Want to Rec ME something? E-Mail Me!

December 10th, 2007

Faded Laughter

Faded Laughter by Mary Borsellino

Summary: Ginny finds a portrait in the attic. Oneshot, 1,386 Words.

Why You Should Care: This fic almost brought tears to my eyes. The premise is that Ginny finds an old portrait of Sirius in the attic, and the way it’s told is so sweet and quintessential. Young!Sirius is so filled with energy and passion, and this is contrasted by the almost lethargic Ginny that we meet: so young and yet so old. And there are these fabulous moments, like when Ginny thinks that she could be infatuated by Sirius’ charm, or when Sirius refers to the Weasleys as ‘spawn’. Particular kudos for using Ginny and not Harry, the more obvious choice. It’s nice to see her with some true emotion and sensitivity.

Why You Might Not Care: A little too short to give as much impact. Plus Mary Borsellino falls into the old trap of just having to include a moment of Remus/Sirius. But it’s nicely handled and actually adds somewhat to the fic.

posted by winglessflight

6 Responses to “Faded Laughter”

1. ladybalin Says:
      December 10th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

I love portrait fics. They’re so fascinating, because they’re simultaneously like real people and not. I like the idea in this story that portraits are only aware when people are around; that’s such a unique idea.

I agree that the Remus/Sirius bit is a little frustrating. I know that large parts of fandom are attached to the pairing, but really must we? It’s not canon and no amount of rewrites is going to make it so.

Thanks for the rec!

3. Kali Says:
      December 10th, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I liked this a lot. I don’t think I would have liked it with Harry, to be honest — what makes it unqiue is that it’s Ginny, not Harry or even Ron or Hermione who have perhaps “closer” ties to Sirius. I also liked the connection drawn between the potrait and Tom’s diary. I don’t write Ginny much, but I tend to not connect the quiet-scared-first-year Ginny who wrote to Tom Riddle with the confident Ginny of the later books — it’s nice to see some remnants and influence of that.

I agree that the frequency of Remus/Sirius in fandom is a little annoying if you aren’t a fan. I think I would’ve perhaps liked it better if the author had kept it to subtle hints, not because I’m not a big fan of the ship (er, which I’m not) but simply because it seemed odd for fifteen year old Sirius to suddenly be so open with a complete stranger, portrait or not.

That said, the little lies she tells him about the present are heartbreaking and effective. Oh, Sirius, you have no idea.

5. afterthree Says:
      December 10th, 2007 at 11:50 pm

I have a soft spot for Remus/Sirius, and *I* find the frequency of it tiring.

7. AML Says:
      December 11th, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Sirius/Remus? Where? Totally being silly.

Have to catch up with the fics after finals…

9. Merle Says:
      December 16th, 2007 at 4:49 pm

“I agree with everything that was said. It was really, really good until the Remus/Sirius bit broke it for me. Ah well. Still pretty good over all though.”

Definitely. I think it broke the flow a bit. The rest of the story was enjoyable, though. I also really liked how the author wrote that Ginny did not know much of Harry’s parents. It added a little something-something to the story, in my opinion.

10.

11. werewolfsfan Says:
      June 27th, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I enjoyed this unusual story very much. We didn’t get to see much of Ginny in between CoS and HBP so this story provides a good characterization of teenaged Ginny. I agree that the Remus / Sirius aspect was a bit forced but it doesn’t diminish my enjoyment of this story much. But I am a devoted Puppy Shipper.

12.