Tags

• Characters
  • Genre
  • Length
  • School Era
  • Ships
  • Website News
  • Want to Rec ME something? E-Mail Me!

November 26th, 2007

Being An Historical Record of Events Surrounding the Unfortunate Truth-Or-Dare Game of February the Twenty-Second, and Consequences Thereof by MoonPants

Summary: “He was aware not only of James’s grin, but that Peter was smiling and sitting forward, too — and oh, God, so was Sirius. All of them grinning, laughing a little, waiting to hear the outcome of another good — if slightly cheap — joke of James’s. For a brief, terrifying moment, Remus found that he hated every last one of them. They were bastards and they had no idea and he hated them.” Mostly Humour, 26,905 Words.

Why You Should Care: While I don’t particularly adore slash, every once in a while I come across one I thoroughly enjoy and — as per usual — it’s a Remus/Sirius fic.  This one in particular is a nice read, with nice characterisations of each of the Marauders (we-ell… for the two-point-four seconds Peter’s in the story, he seems well characterised, anyway) and a nice build up into the steamy bits.  It kept my attention throughout, made me laugh regularly, and it was interesting to follow Sirius on his journey through this one.  MoonPants also gives us a reason for James and Co. being so damn comfortable with homosexuality, and while it’s a bit plot devicey it is still there, which is more than I can say for a lot of slash fic.  Also?  Props for the guts to give this fic the longest title I’ve ever seen.

Why You Might Not Care: Well, this is for the slash lovers here.  It’s also NC-17 slash, just so no one’s surprised, with a couple of Not-Work-Safe sections.  The author warns that a lot of the plot elements have been “stolen” from other stories — and there are a few cliches here, make no mistake — but she carries them off with good enough writing that you don’t really notice them so much.

posted by afterthree

6 Responses to “Being An Historical Record of Events Surrounding the Unfortunate Truth-Or-Dare Game of February the Twenty-Second, and Consequences Thereof”

1. AML Says:
      November 26th, 2007 at 5:24 pm

Whoa. Interpretation of that title should be placed on an intelligence test.

—goes off to read, despite uncertainties about title…..

…thanks for the rec!

3. AML Says:
      November 27th, 2007 at 10:07 am

Ok. So I read it.

Being a fan of Remus/Sirius, I read the pairing…a lot. Less than I ought. The ship in this one was written pretty well and am glad to have read it — thanks for the rec! (In general I noticed MoonPants using the third person POV pronoun oddly at times. ex: “If Remus fancied Sirius, would it make him (*edited naughty-ish description*)? One would hope, Sirius supposed.” Sirius appeared to address himself in the third person in his thought. But then again, maybe that was how Sirius talked to himself! Did anyone else get this effect?)

But the key feature of this fic was the dymanic between Sirius and James in Section 6. It read extremely true to life. Even for readers unenthusiastic about Remus/Sirius ships, reading the Sirius and James passage is worth the effort.

5. afterthree Says:
      November 27th, 2007 at 10:10 am

That’s what I figured, too. It’s plot devicey to be sure, but the conversation is written well enough that I don’t mind.

7. Kali Says:
      November 28th, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Remus/Sirius is one of those weird pairings that I don’t really like but that I will sometimes read just for the hell of it (and also because an unnervingly large portion of good MWPP writers ship Remus/Sirius), and I’ll say that I enjoyed this. I was somehow under the impression that the first bit took place when they were a lot younger than they ough to be and that threw me for a bit of a loop, but that is no doubt the fault of my own skimming.

And I agree that the James/Sirius scene was brilliant.

I’d actually seen the “oh but being gay isn’t weird in the Wizarding world which is why everyone is okay with it!!! :)” explanation before, and while it sort of grates on me — seems too contrived — it IS better than no explanation at all, at least. =)

9. Sara Says:
      December 7th, 2007 at 7:30 pm

GUH.

*loved it*

I had to wait a while to read it, because it was… kinda long… but dear Christ, I loved it.

10.

11. werewolfsfan Says:
      June 29th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

As huge a puppy shipper as I am, I don’t favor this fic much. I like many parts of it but not the whole. The first problem for me is that I don’t see 4 boys playing Truth or Dare by themselves. I could see them getting smashed and daring one another to do things but Truth or Dare is more of a mixed teen bash kind of a thing. I can’t even see the marauders treating Veritaserum this casually. Also, it suggests a level of organization and planning to their game.
      However, I loved Remus thoughts about how much he hates them sometimes. That made Remus’ characterization for me. And of course, I love the conversation between James and Sirius.
      The other problem in this fic for me is the explanation that homosexuality in the wizarding world is not a problem as long as the pure bloods make sure that they breed! Also, I think it is too long. So while this story has good elements, I expect more interesting recommendations here.

12.