Tags

• Characters
  • Genre
  • Length
  • School Era
  • Ships
  • Website News
  • Want to Rec ME something? E-Mail Me!

October 4th, 2007

The Moon-Cursers

The Moon Cursers by Grace_has_Victory (Part I: Moons of Deceit, Part II: Crown of the North, Part III: The Werewolf’s Bride, Part IV: The Banesbrewer)

Summary: Beginning just after the first fall of Voldemort, this follows the life of Remus Lupin and Ariadne MacDougal as they battle love, lycanthropy, abuse of human rights and living in the most prejudiced of societies. Four-part Series, over 330,000 words.

Why You Should Care: Because if this woman weren’t a psychology teacher she could be an author. Very much like JKR herself, Grave_has_Victory is a master of storytelling. This four-part story (entirely fitting with canon) is brimful of twists and suspense; you never fail to be surprised. The characters, particularly Ariadne herself, are multifaceted and interesting, and the whole tale has a strong feeling of reality. There’s a little humour, and it keeps the story light, as does the hint of romance. The writing may not be flowery, but it’s substantial and at times bittersweet, and much of the dialogue is incredibly realistic. This fic is like reading a really, really good book. This series is probably my favourite piece of fanfiction ever. Incredible.

Why You Might Not Care: If you don’t like stories about what-Remus-did-in-the-eighties, then this might be something to avoid. And if you like your emotions served up on a plate: pure angst, or pure fluff. But, honestly, I can’t believe that anyone could regret checking these out. If you like stories, if you like books, if you like reading, then these are for you. Go, my children. Read and enjoy.

posted by winglessflight

8 Responses to “The Moon-Cursers”

1. Christina Says:
      October 4th, 2007 at 8:13 am

330,000 words? WOW! Hopefully that will keep me occupied at work. (Um, if I read fanfic at work, which of course I don’t…)

3. afterthree Says:
      October 4th, 2007 at 8:41 am

Of course not. I mean, you would *never* do that…

5. AML Says:
      October 4th, 2007 at 9:15 am

Thus far (moments into reading), the stoy’s detail is delightful! Check this out:

“Now,” he said, bringing out the tape again, “your mother wants this room enlarged to roughly twice as wide and three and a half times as long. Just a moment, while I do the sum …”

“Are you wanting parchment?” She moved towards a writing desk against the long wall.

“No, it’s just a simple Transfiguration problem.”

Transfiguration equations? Who knew?!

Thanks for the rec!

7. Oxymoron Says:
      October 4th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

I knew you would do this, Angel! Took you longer than I expected.

I should reread these. I will, one of these days. But then, the ending makes me sad… Maybe I’ll just read the first two. I think they’re my favourites anyway.

9. Grace has Victory Says:
      October 20th, 2007 at 10:39 am

Thank you for including my fic in your recs. This site looks like a lot of work to build and maintain, so I admire your dedication. And I can hardly believe that you set me alongside a major writer like FernWithy! I will be checking out some of your other recs in the future.

10.

11. Katy Says:
      February 7th, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for this recommendation. I’ve got to chapter three so far and I’m enjoying it very much.

Only one thing, does the odd phrasing the author sometimes uses bother anyone else? For example: “I’m thinking that nobody tried to change its size for at least ten years”, and, “Are you wanting parchment?” This kind of thing crops up quite frequently and I find it a bit distracting.

12.

13. winglessflight Says:
      February 7th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Ariadne’s character is from the Scottish Highlands and the use of verbs in the continuous is a nuance of the accent. =)

14.

15. Katy Says:
      February 7th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Aah thanks for that. I was beginning to think it might be something like that, given that it was limited to speech.

Its funny, I don’t think I would even have noticed if I was listening to someone speak the lines out loud, but I forget to factor in accents when I read in my own head (as it were) and it sounds very odd in my own southern English accent, lol. :)

16.