Tags

• Characters
  • Genre
  • Length
  • School Era
  • Ships
  • Website News
  • Want to Rec ME something? E-Mail Me!

September 13th, 2007

The Platform

The Platform by Koonelli

Summary: ‘You must have loved her very much, not many people remember enough to wait.’ Oneshot, 1,861 Words.

Why You Should Care: What’s most amazing about this fic is that it was written prior to Deathly Hallows release (like, significantly prior), but uses some of the same imagery to set up the first phase of the afterlife — it’s actually become even more canon than it was before, which is highly unusual. The use of the little girl who assists the dead on their next great journey is wonderful, and I love the fuzziness of James’ memory. I’m not a very spiritual person, but I liked this.

Why You Might Not Care: Um… ah… *shrugs*. I think most people can get behind this one. Certainly James/Lily shippers will get more out of it than anyone else.

posted by afterthree

6 Responses to “The Platform”

1. AML Says:
      September 13th, 2007 at 9:53 am

Nice story.

I wished Lily had shown the same disorientation on the Platform as James did, however. Making each passenger’s arrival more or less equivalent would help make the environment more convincing. That said, I agree that the imagery was nicely handled.

Thanks for the rec!

3. Insanguinare Says:
      September 14th, 2007 at 7:19 am

Thanks, Chelle, this one was great. Koonelli’s stuff tends to be, though, as I discovered a couple of weeks ago.

Just to counteract the comment above mine — I think it works that Lily is not as disoriented, because James is already there waiting for her, whereas James had to figure it out on his own.

*goes to re-read*

5. Christina Says:
      September 14th, 2007 at 7:43 am

I discovered Koonelli a couple weeks ago too, and did my usual “obsessive reading of everything she’s ever archived,” so I’d read this before it was recced, but still really like it.

7. AML Says:
      September 14th, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Insanguinare, you have a fair point. Perhaps I was knocked off balance by Lily’s efficient observations because it signalled the story was going to end. If she were more shambolic than she was, well, then we’d possibly get more to read!

9. Kali Says:
      September 19th, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Ohhhh I love Elli, and I love this piece. =) Hee. And it’s funny that, as you said, it’s sort of *more* canon now than it was before. Go Elli go.

10.

11. koonelli Says:
      October 13th, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Hello,

I wanted to thank you very much for the recommendation. Nothing gave me so much pleasure as seeing both your wonderful comments and the constructive crit left by others. Strange how niggles come much more freely when they aren’t directed at the author. :)

Now I’m off to explore the rest of the site. Thank you again!

12.